Tuesday, November 3, 2009

character research&design

Here are some character development sketches for the Mr. Miacca short story. This is the little boy in the story, Tommy Grimes. My sketches had too much of an anime style at first, and I didn't really imagine that fitting well with the story. Then moved into more of a Ghibli style for the character by sketching parts from their movies, but it ended up being too similar.

Ended up moving towards a simpler, more stylized character, something more like Coraline. I think this style should work well with the story.





This last image is the character turnaround for Tommy. There might be some small changes to the finalized character, but most of it is there. Next is storyboarding. Hopefully I will be able to take all this preproduction work and use it to make a short for my capstone project.